Thursday, December 15, 2011

Oh the weather outside...

Is WAY warmer than it ought to be right now, given that it is the middle of december and SHOULD be lower than 77 degrees! Such is life in southeast texas I suppose. Why, last week was lovely and chilly all week! (when I say "chilly" for all you North people who get snow and all that wonderful wintry weather that I ENVY so, I mean it was in the 40's)
  Anyways it was cold enough to finally make use of our FIREPLACE!! This is the first apartment we have lived in since we have been married, that has a fireplace!
It make me feel like singing..."Chestnuts roasting on an open fire..."

Also, Andrew had been begging me for a couple of days to "make christmas cookies mommy!" So he found my christmas cookie cutters and I made some sugar cookie dough and he got to help me make his "christmas cookies" I typically have little to no patience when it comes to having little kids "help" in the kitchen, but he was SO sweet and anxious to do it that I HAD to let him!
I would place the cookie cutter on the dough and he would press it down. Then I let him sprinkle the red and green decorator sugar on the cookies before we baked them. He REALLY enjoyed that part. for the next few days he decided that he needed a "christmas cookie" every time he used the potty (we still aren't 100% with the potty training...)

You know what though? I am still pretty sure I have the worlds most awesome kids!

1 comment:

  1. P.S. Also I was super excited that he found several YouTube videos explaining the concept of an "upside-down fire". It breaks down to basically putting all your big wood on the bottom, next smallest size crossing perpendicular on top of that, and so on, all the way up to the tinder & kindling. The trick is to make sure the space between all the wood is as small as possible, and make sure there is ample kindling to ignite the smaller sticks below it. Naturally the hot embers that form will rest where they burn, thus heating (& even drying) the wood below it, eventually igniting it. If constructed properly, (as seen above) the fire shown was lit once, and at only one point, from one sheet of news paper on the first try. The picture was taken about 15 minutes into the fire, and it lasted a good 2 1/2 - 3 hours. I felt very accomplished.

    ReplyDelete