Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Disney Channel's fall from grace.

 My son Andrew is definitely a rough and tumble little boy. He plays outside, climbs my furniture, and builds massive block towers for the express purpose of knocking them over, while throwing his head back, and laughing malevolently.  His proclivity for television, however , is pretty vast. I like to take some credit for this, after all I am the one who saw to it that he was exposed to such classics as "Sesame Street" and, "the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh". I  have once again become big fans of PBS's programming ("Dinosaur train", "Word World", and "Clifford" for the win!!) And, I have Nick jr. to thank for "Dora the Explorer" (or as Andy calls it "backpack a' Dowa"), "Max and Ruby", "the Fresh Beat Band", and "Ni Hao, Kai Lan".  I also feel confident in my ability to re-direct his attention when such horrors as "the Evil Purple one (a.k.a. Barney)",  and "Yo Gabba Gabba" come on, I am typically able to get the channel changed before these shows air so that he has no idea they are even on (Go me!) thus, preserving my sanity. I have also effectively turned him on to just about all of the movies made by Pixar, most notably, "Toy Story 1, 2 and 3" (Toy Story, was partial inspiration for, his name, 'Andy'. True story) He also is especially fond of, "Wall-E", and "UP". And of course we have a pretty respectable collection of Classic Disney Animated features in our library.
           Now why would any of you care what movies and television shows my son begs me to watch on a daily basis? Don't worry, I have a point! You may have noticed that I left out the Disney Channel and it's "programming". We do not watch the Disney Channel anymore. I have some SERIOUS, issues with the Disney channel. Like a once good, but now rotten, cheating, boyfriend, I broke up with it. Back in the days of my innocent youth, the Disney Channel was, I daresay, my favorite of all the channels on cable! The programming was, sweet, innocent, and completely aimed at a young, classic disney loving audience. My mornings were filled with such happy-making shows as, "Care Bears", "The Wuzzles", "Gummi Bears", "Under the Umbrella Tree", "the New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh", and SO many others!  Not to mention all the Old School Mickey Mouse cartoons that they played all throughout the day! It was a dare I say, blissful time in my life! I felt confident that I could turn to the Disney channel anytime throughout the day and be happy with whatever was on. Not so, anymore. Alas, Disney has sold it's sweet, mouse-eared, soul, to cater to the 'tweens" of the world today.
          Now, I am aware that they have some new programming that is geared towards young children, that is played early in the morning. I have attempted to watch some of it, in the hopes that there is still a scrap of "Classic" Disney magic in it. Sadly, there is not. Am I really going to let my son watch a show about jungle animals that have wheels instead of legs? How am I supposed to answer questions about that?? Some of the shows I watched were silly but, explainable! (the Wuzzle's were combinations of two different animals, i.e. 'Eleroo'= Elephant + Kangaroo, The Care bears were magical, etc...)  Then of course there is the monstrous collection of live action sitcoms that are all aimed towards the 9-13 demographic, and feature a bunch of annoying, whiney, disrespectful, kids! i.e.- "Hannah Montana", "Wizards of Waverly Place", "Sunny with a Chance", I could go on and on! What happened to keeping the 'Mickey Mouse club' going?? 'Kids Incorporated' Anyone??  'The Babysitters Club' was hokey I know, but at least it maintained an innocent platform!  My favorite show to watch with my mother on monday nights was "Road to Avonlea" It was AWESOME!  I am left to vigilantly search Amazon.com and e-bay for some dregs of these great shows!   I have had luck with some, but not with others. Perhaps someday I will be able to gather most of these shows in some format or another, for me my children to enjoy.  Until then I say, "Come back to your senses, Disney Channel! I will be right here waiting for you  when/if you do!!"

3 comments:

  1. Phineas & Ferb is an AWESOME Disney Channel cartoon. We all love it here. Phillip totally rocks out to the theme song. We don't have cable we stream Netflix and we ran out of episodes to watch we like it so much! I mst admit Phillip is an avid Barney watcher. Matt hates it so we mostly watch it while he's a work, but Phillip is always asking to watch "marney." He's a Word World fan, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have NEVER called Barney, "the Evil Purple One." I always refer to him as, "The Purple Terror." Or "The Purple Horror." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's sad is that you've covered one out of three networks geared towards children. They're all this way. Even Cartoon Network... a network for.... cartoons... is now coming out with live action shows.

    Nickelodeon is actually bringing back several old cartoons, because their teenage shows are bombing like the Japanese to Pearl Harbor. Doug, Angry Beavers, etc.

    My problem with shows like Phineas and Ferb is the animation. 80% of shows are now following this geometric template that burns my eyes to look at. It was a style popularized by Genndy Tartonkovsky (spelling's close to that. x_x) the creator of Dexter's Lab and I believe he was the Artistic Director of Powerpuff Girls, shows known for their simplistic form and shapes.

    Shows nowadays are digital, losing an organic rendering. Watch some Darkwing Duck, Tale Spinsm Chip N' Dale Rescue Rangers, Looney Toons, Tiny Toons, Courage the Cowardly Dog, and a number of the shows spanning from 92- around 01. After that margin.... it all began it's decline.

    Anyway, this is coming from a person who's career is cartoons too. I am a voice actor, and writer. So those are my two cents.

    ReplyDelete