Saturday, April 2, 2011

BUT WAIT! There's more.........

       I have always been good at late nights. It's in my genes. Growing up the in the Shiver household, it was mandatory to have the ability to, as my Dad might say, "hang with the big dogs" which roughly translated means 'be able to stay up really, really, late WITHOUT coming across unpleasantly tired, or falling asleep in a seated position, and snoring, even though the rest of your group is still awake and having a good time. Robert frequently does just that, so my father has since proclaimed that Robert cannot, in fact, "hang with the big dogs". Having been conditioned all my life to do so however, I can.  I spent many a late night sitting with my dad in his studio listening to different music artists that span the genre's, critiquing and just enjoying the music, oldies and newer stuff alike
        This ability to handle late nights, has come quite, in handy the past few years since I had children.  The dreaded midnight feedings? Meh, not that big of a deal for me. I have learned the art of waking myself up enough to be aware of my baby while she is attached to me (Yes, I breastfeed. It is awesome. I feel awesome for doing it. I highly recommend it), and keep the atmosphere calm, and dimly lit enough that she will go right back to sleep when she is through.  I have found that the correct way for me to do this is NOT to turn my bedside light on, because this is too much light and will wake the little darling up, and she will want to talk, and play, and coo at me which, don't get me wrong, is fun and all, just not ideal at 3:30 a.m.  I have learned that if I turn the t.v. on and keep the volume level very, low and it will provide just enough light for me to see what I am doing and enough sound to keep me somewhat awake. 
          Because she has woken up at all different hours of the night, I am VERY knowledgeable of late night programming. For example, I have learned that after a certain time most cable channels quit playing their own programming and open up slots for infomercials.....which I LOVE! Over the last 3 1/2 months I have watched A LOT of infomercials. I am now, what you might call a connoisseur of late night infomercials, if you will. As a result, I have learned that most all infomercials fall  into one of three categories: 
  •   1.) Food preparation tools, that are demonstrated by people who are REALLY, excited about a powerful little, blender/grill/toaster oven etc...            
  •   2.) Work out programs that feature really, in shape, "real people" talking about  how 'out of shape and lazy they used to be before they started (insert workout program here)' and how now, after only 30/60/90 days they look like a greek adonis and, I can too! For only 3 EASY payments of $39.99!! (plus S&H...)
  •  3.) Time Life, music collections, always hosted by a combination of an older music artist from the 70's or 80's and some random girl who ALWAYS has really, good hair.
The time life infomercials, for some reason always have the greatest draw for me. I think it must be all the 16 bar, clips of some of the 'GREATEST songs of all time!' I think I have seen the, "singer, songwriter's" collection at least 30 times, and the, "Easy 80's" at least 20. What can I say? I am drawn in by the "nostalgic sounds of Lionel Richie, Kenny Rogers, Starship, Hall and Oates, Nicolette Sheridan, America, Phil Collins, Gloria Estefan, Christopher Cross, The Bangles, Heart, Foreigner, and many more......"  I cannot get enough of these music infomercials!! Perhaps it is because listening to music late at night has been so engrained into my psyche.  I have frequently been tempted to just go ahead and call the stupid number and buy the c.d. set so I can finish listening to the songs that they dangle in front of my nose, 15 seconds at a time! I mean, come on, how cruel is it to start playing "nothing's gonna stop us now" just to cut it off, and start playing a short section of "groovy kind of love" which  I will also love and want to hear more of!? (side note: "Groovy kind of Love" is mine and Robert's 'song' and was our first dance at our wedding. True story)  
      My biggest concern about my potentially BUYING one of these terrific looking collections, is what will happen when I get them. I mean, they are advertising over 150 songs on 10 c.d.'s! When, am I going to have time to listen to all these fantastic songs......? And then I realize that I know EXACTLY what would happen with them; late some night, me and my dad, would be found sitting in his studio, with headphones on, listening to song after song, thus, perpetuating the cycle! 
I think I will continue to refrain from calling that 1-800 number, and perhaps try to get some sleep......

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT! You have just described your father in a nuttshell. (Did I just call him a nut???)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What can I say? I need my beauty sleep so I won't look like Nosforatu standing next to you, babe. ;-)

    ReplyDelete